Friday, April 22, 2011

Hot Cross Bun Monkey Bread

Pin It!


I've been having fun thinking up yummy things to bake and cook for Easter... Today I decided to use my hot cross bun dough to make Monkey Bread! My mum used to make this for us when we were kids (but not with hot cross bun dough). I often asked for it for my birthday cake. I mean, you just can't beat a pull-apart bread made of soft yeast bread, all stuck together with sticky cinnamon-sugar goo - chewy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside! Mmmmmm...

Most of the Monkey Bread recipes I looked at on the internet used dough which was rolled in cinnamon and sugar, then placed in a bundt tin, and a syrup made of brown sugar and butter was poured over. I thought this was a bit of a 'sugar over-kill', so I made it the way I remember Mum making it, rolling each piece in melted butter, then in cinnamon and sugar. It makes it's own sticky syrup as it cooks, and uses way less sugar!!

I did try to make my version of Monkey Bread as healthy as I could - I used Rapadura instead of sugar, lots of cinnamon (I love cinnamon, and it's good for you!), and homemade butter... but if you can't have butter you could use ghee. Or for a lower fat, dairy free version, just roll the dough balls in warm rice-almond milk, then in the cinnamon and Rapadura. You can even use a mixture of warm milk and butter if you like.



Monkey Bread made in a small loaf tin

Okay, so here's how to make Monkey Bread:

1. Make a batch of Hot Cross Bun Dough, but leave the Rapadura (or sugar) out - you won't need it, since it's going to be rolled in Rapadura anyway. Or if you like you can just use plain bread dough. (I make my dough wheat and dairy free, but you can use just a regular hot cross bun recipe if you want to.) Let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

2. Melt about a cup of butter or ghee in the Thermomix at 80 degrees, 2 minutes, speed 2 (or until all melted). Pour into a bowl. [If using rice-almond milk instead of butter, warm it up a little.]


3. Prepare tins by greasing with a little butter/ghee. I used 6 mini Bundt tins, and 1 loaf tin. You could use 2 loaf tins, or 1 big Bundt tin.

4. In another bowl, mix together about a cup of Rapadura and 2-3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.

5. Pinch off small pieces of dough, roll them into balls, and roll them in the melted butter (and/or milk)...


... then in the cinnamon-Rapadura mixture.


6. Place the balls into the prepared tins, using smaller balls to fill in spaces. Only fill half full, or they'll overflow a bit like mine did! Oops!


7. Drizzle with any remaining butter/ghee/milk...


... then let them rise until they're nearly at the top of the tin.


8. Place in a cold oven and turn it on to 180 degrees C, and cook for about 30 minutes (depending on how big the tins are you're using). They should be nicely browned when done.


(Mine were a little too full!)

9. Let them cool for about 5 minutes, then tip them out, upside down, onto a plate.


Enjoy!


(But be careful not to burn yourself because 
you can't wait til they cool down!!)

22 comments:

musingnmayhem said...

Did you burn your fingers Jo?
Mmmmmm!

Cate said...

Hah - I was thinking about making this this morning as well - but I made your pull apart hot cross buns (well kinda!)

Hope you have had a good day - I have spent it in the kitchen baking with my daughter - we made the bread and then fruit tingle macarons - what a great day!

Jo Whitton said...

No, I didn't burn my fingers, but my daughter did! lol!

Isn't it lovely to spend the day baking with your daughter, Cate! :)

Sam said...

I'm gonna try this recipe for my family, it looks so delicious!! I wish I could reach out through the screen :-)
Happy Easter to you xx

LINDAK said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Cathy said...

If you think the picture looks delicious, wait until you try it! I made this yesterday as I was responsible for dessert at lunch. So delicious! The butter and sugar and cinnamon created a beautiful syrup that wasn't too sweet. I was a bit scared to tip it out of the tin, but so glad I did. This will be a new firm favourite. I served it with warm plain custard. So yummy!

Jo Whitton said...

Yay!! So glad you liked it Cathy!! It's been a family favourite for us ever since I can remember - I made it with my mum, my mum made it with her mum, and she made it with hers! It goes a long way back. :)

Lea said...

Thanks so much for your yummy recipe ideas. I am a new owner of Thermomix and am enjoying your site for new ideas.

Jo Whitton said...

Thanks Lea :) The Thermomix sure does make cooking fun, doesn't it!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo - loving your blog - my girls love the fact that you put up so many photos - we're visual people here! We made the monkey bread on Sunday - I was so excited to find the recipe as I hadn't made it since giving my bread maker away - I used to make it in that and if I'd thought about it I could have worked it out - but I didn't and fortunately you did! Thanks.

Jo Whitton said...

Oh, thank you!! Don't you just love Monkey Bread?! I'm visual too - the more photos the better! Took me a little while to get my photo system sorted out - now I need to go back and add more photos to old posts! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, I would love to make this tonight for dessert, but I don't have a tin like you use, I have one loaf tin and all my others are cake tins, would it work in a cake tin? Renee x

Amanda said...

I would think if people can't have butter they couldn't have ghee. It is clarified butter. Certainly a vegan could not if that was the reason they could not have butter. Just wanted to let people know.

Jo Whitton said...

That's true Amanda, if you're allergic to butter you can't have ghee - should have 'clarified' that - ha ha!! I can handle ghee because the milk solids have been taken out and it doesn't seem to bother me like butter does. If you're dairy free you could try a butter substitute like nutellex, or just roll the dough balls in warm rice/almond/cashew milk.

Jo Whitton said...

Oh, Renee, so sorry, just saw your comment! Yes, this recipe can be made in any tin really :)

Haid said...

YUM! I made this today and it was a huge hit :) I was a little worried as the dough was quite stiff to start with but they rose and were lovely :)

Sam said...

hi there
At what stage would i freeze this ready to take out and bake on xmas morning? (sorry if it says somewhere, Ive read the post twice and cant seem to see it!) thanks in advance. xxx

Jo Whitton said...

Hi Sam, just prepare them, rise for about 15-20 mins, then cover & freeze. When ready to bake, remove from freezer & thaw (about an hour, depending on size of pans), place in a cold oven, and turn it on to 180C. They'll finish rising as the oven warms up. :)

Annie said...

I want to make this for Easter, looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Hello - can i use normal lite cows milk?

Jo Whitton said...

Hope you like them, Annie!

Anon, yes, you can use any milk really :)

Ann Maree Lee said...

Hi Jo, my consultant helped me make this and it was yummy. I wonder how you make it wheat and dairy free. I am supposed to avoid wheat. Actually yeast too, but can't see it rising without yeast. Any ideas?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...