This is an easy, light meal that is handy for using up all that lovely fresh broccoli or silverbeet that's in season right now. We like it for lunch, as it's got lots of protein from the eggs and the broccoli/silverbeet, and protein is very helpful for keeping you awake and energised! We're dairy free, so I make my own rice & almond milk, which saves us lots of money, but you could use regular milk if preferred. We're getting lots of eggs from our chickens right now as well, so all round, this is an very inexpensive meal for us. Serve with raw vege sticks.
1. Chop up and place in Varoma
- 2 cups of broccoli (or silverbeet)
2. Place in steamer basket in bowl:
- 6 eggs
Fill bowl with 500g water. Put on the lid, and place Varoma on top.
3. Steam eggs and broccoli (or silverbeet) for 15 mins, Varoma temperature, speed 1. (If the veges need more time, take the eggs out, and keep steaming until done.) Tip water out of bowl, set eggs aside.
4. Add to bowl, and chop for 5 seconds on speed 5:
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stick of celery, quartered
- a few mushrooms (optional)
5. Add oil and saute for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1:
- 20g olive oil
6. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 7 minutes, 90 degrees, reverse speed 3:
- 500g rice/almond milk
- 4 Tblspns plain flour (I use spelt, but rice or other flour would work)
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
7. While white sauce is cooking, peel eggs and slice in half. In a baking dish, spread greens, then place eggs on top in two rows. When sauce is cooked, pour and spread over eggs.
8. Without cleaning out bowl, add and mix on speed 6 for a few seconds until made into crumbs:
- two pieces of wholemeal bread (use your day old bread that's getting a bit dry)
- 2 tsp of olive oil or butter
- a handful of fresh parsley
9. Sprinkle crumbs over white sauce. Place casserole dish under hot grill to brown slightly, and serve.